Summer Nurse Extern Program￼
The MS Summer Student Nurse Externship Program is a joint effort between the Mississippi Council of Deans and Directors and the Mississippi Hospital Association Organization for Nurse Executives. The Education/Service Liaison Committee developed the guidelines with input from the Mississippi Board of Nursing.
The staff of Memorial Hospital wants to support nursing students by providing a new avenue to experience and observe excellent patient care. The externship will assist in coping with reality shock, developing competence with technical skills, and adaptation to the new role that many newly graduated nurses experience. The extern program allows nursing students during their last year of school to work alongside a preceptor in an assigned area. This provides confidence for students when weighing options for employment after graduation.
THE GOALS OF THE STUDENT NURSE EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM ARE AS FOLLOWS:
✓ Provide students in nursing with an opportunity to enhance previously learned competencies; i.e, critical thinking, time management, communication, teamwork, people management; under the supervision of experienced registered nurses in the healthcare setting;
✓ Assist students of nursing to experience acceptance in a work situation appropriate to their potential as future registered nurses;
✓ Prepare students in nursing to assume responsibilities of full-time employees with respect to performance requirements, policies, and procedures of a health care agency
- Must be within one year of graduation from a participating school of nursing in the Mississippi Hospital Association Summer Student Nurse Extern Program.
- Must enroll in the 3-hour credit Externship course at participating school of nursing
- Must complete online application and program packet
- Student may be asked to complete application at WIN JOB Center to comply with MHA program requirements.
- Students must work 320 hours and complete an online survey to receive course credit
View current summer nurse externship positions:
Questions? Call (228) 236-6487