Memorial Health System Summary Notice of Privacy Practices
Memorial Health System is dedicated to protecting your medical information. We are required by law to maintain the privacy of your medical information and to provide you with this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your medical information. Memorial Health System is required by law to abide by the terms of this notice. Please visit our website at www.gulfportmemorial.com for a list of the facilities operated by Memorial Health System and bound by this Notice.
This page is a summary of the Notice of Privacy Practices. We strongly encourage you to take the time to read the full Notice of Privacy Practices, so you are aware of your individual rights and how your health information is used.
How your medical information will be used and disclosed:
We will use and disclose your medical information as part of rendering patient care for treatment, payment or health care operations purposes. For example, your medical information may be used by the doctor or nurse treating you, by the business office to process your payment for the services rendered and by administrative personnel reviewing the quality of the care you receive. We may and often do make your records available to medical personnel at other facilities who are providing care and treatment to you, so that they will be aware of your complete medical history as reflected in our medical records system.
Much of your health information is stored electronically, rather than being in paper form. When we use or disclose your protected health information in the ways described in this notice, we may do so by providing printed copies of your health information or by allowing the authorized person or persons to access the electronic record. However, whether your health information is in paper or electronic form, we will handle it in compliance with the provisions of this notice.
How we may use and disclose health information about you:
- Treat you
- Run our organization
- Bill for your services
- Organized Health Care Arrangement & Health Information Exchange (full list can be found at www.gulfportmemorial.com)
- Help with public health and safety issues
- Do research
- Comply with the law
- Respond to organ and tissue donation requests
- Work with a medical examiner or funeral director
- Address workers’ compensation, law enforcement, and
- other government requests.
- Respond to lawsuits and legal actions
- Business Associates
- To family and friends involved in your care
- Assist in disaster relief
- Include you in our hospital directory
- Raise funds
All other uses and disclosures by Memorial will require us to obtain from you a written authorization, including any use or disclosure of your PHI involving certain mental health records (including psychotherapy notes), marketing activities, or sale of your information.
Your rights regarding your medical information:
You have the right to:
- Ask us to limit the information we share.
- Request confidential communication
- Get a copy of your medical information.
- Amend your medical information.
- Get a list of those with whom we’ve shared your information.
- Get a copy of this Privacy Notice.
- File a complaint if you believe your privacy rights have been violated & received notice from us in the event of any breach of your medical information.
Revision of Notice of Privacy Practices:
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Notice, making any revision applicable to all the protected health information we maintain. If we revise the terms of this Notice, we will post a revised Notice throughout Memorial, at gulfportmemorial.com and will make paper copies available upon request.
If you have any questions regarding our privacy practices, please contact Memorial’s Privacy Officer at (228) 865-3178.