Do You Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
If your overweight condition is a serious risk to your health, and if you have tried and been unable to lose weight through traditional treatment, you could be a candidate for weight loss surgery. The procedure performed at Memorial Hospital is called sleeve gastrectomy.
Criteria for Qualified Candidates
- Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 40
- BMI greater or equal to 35, with one or more significant obesity-related health conditions
- 18 to 70 years
- 70 to 75 years on a case-by-case evaluation
- Multiple failed attempts with diet plans, behavioral changes, and medical therapy
- Realistic expectations and motivation
- Ability to understand the procedure and its implications and to accept the operative risk
- Commitment to post-surgery diet, vitamin supplementation, exercise program, and health and weight maintenance follow up
Improving Your Health if You Don’t Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery
At Memorial, we understand the toll that obesity takes on your quality of life. Not everyone is an ideal bariatric surgery candidate; even so, Memorial offers other ways to help you achieve a healthier state:
- Nutritional counseling
- Creation of a custom diet and exercise plan for your individual needs