Memorial is a certified Primary Stroke Center with stroke specialty certified rehabilitation. No other hospital on the Mississippi Gulf Coast offers better or more comprehensive stroke care than our multidisciplinary team, who specialize in helping patients manage and recover from stroke.
Choose Memorial Hospital for Expert Stroke Treatment and Rehabilitation
Memorial’s neuroscience facilities include inpatient acute therapy and rehabilitation, state-of-the-art radiology and imaging, electrodiagnostics, and the latest operating room equipment.
What is a Stroke?
Stroke is a disease that affects blood vessels leading into and within the brain. A stroke is caused when blood flow to your brain is stopped or disrupted.
There are 2 different types of stroke.
- An ischemic stroke is the most common type of stroke. It occurs when a blood vessel in the brain is blocked. It may be blocked by a blood clot. Or it may be blocked by a buildup of fatty deposit or cholesterol. This buildup is called plaque.
- A hemorrhagic stroke (bleeds) occurs when a weakened blood vessel in your brain bursts or ruptures.
Signs and Symptoms of a Stroke
- Sudden weakness or numbness of the face, arm, or leg (usually on one side of the body)
- Sudden trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden dizziness or problems with balance or coordination
- Sudden double vision or trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden severe headache
- Sudden loss of consciousness or seizure
There is no cure for stroke once it has occurred. Emergency treatment for a stroke depends on whether you’re having an ischemic stroke or a hemorrhagic stroke. Some treatment options can only be provided in the first hours after the symptoms of a stroke begin. Patients must meet certain criteria to be eligible for treatment. Emergency treatment may minimize the long-term effects of a stroke.
A stroke is an emergency. It’s important to know and recognize the signs of a stroke. If you or someone you know has symptoms of a stroke, Call 911 right away.
Why Choose Memorial Hospital Gulfport?
No other hospital on MS Gulf Coast offers better or more comprehensive stroke care than Memorial’s multidisciplinary team who specialize in helping patients manage and recover from stroke.
We are the only hospital in south Mississippi that has a team of physician specialists available for our stroke patients such as neurology, neurosurgery, neurointerventionalist, vascular surgery, intensivist, and emergency physicians.
Certified Primary Stroke Center
The Joint Commission certified Memorial Hospital as a Primary Stroke Center making it the first of its kind in the state of Mississippi back in 2007. Memorial continues to demonstrate a commitment to offering quality care to our stroke patients by continuous seek performance improvement, provide high quality patient care and reduce patients risk of harm.
Contact Memorial Stroke Center
If you have any questions about our stroke program, you can contact (228) 867-5252.