Are you part of the 1/3 of Americans that make a new year’s resolution? If so, Memorial Health Coach Summer Harris has some pointers to help you keep those resolutions going!
- Know your “why” – Having a reason behind your decision will help you stay focused. Whether it’s getting healthy so you can play with your kids or grandkids, or resolving a health issue to reduce your medications, don’t forget your “why”.
- Make small, meaningful changes – small changes are easier to maintain and will help you transition into bigger changes that add up over time. Small changes can be things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or swapping chips for fruit. One small change a day is still change!
- Plan ahead – having a solid plan will make it easier to stay on track. Plan your activities, plan your meals, even plan your sleep. Making and sticking to your plans will set you up for success.
- Be mindful and be present – it’s become easy to only be partially present, but by being focused on the activity at hand or the food on your plate, you can make better decisions and enjoy the changes you’re making.
- Forgive yourself – every day won’t go as planned and obstacles happen. Don’t let those things stop your progress, take a deep breath and keep going.
If you have health and wellness goals but don’t know where to start or how to get started, your primary care provider can help. Find one near you today to make 2023 your healthiest year yet!