GULFPORT, Miss. — The Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency (MORA) will be on-site at Memorial Hospital at Gulfport on Thursday, April 28, noon – 8 p.m., in the Main Atrium, to promote the importance of organ and tissue donation and to register donors. Approximately 1,500 Mississippians are in need of a life-saving transplant. More than 1,300 of those patients are waiting for a kidney transplant.
A recipient of a donated kidney will be available to share her story. Because of her organ donor, she enjoys a full life as a wife and mother.
Organ and Tissue donation facts:
• Anyone can be a potential donor regardless of age, race, or medical history.
• All major religions support organ, tissue, and eye donation and see it as a final act of love and generosity towards others.
• In the United States, it is illegal to buy or sell organs and tissue for transplantation.
• 22 people die each day awaiting a life-saving transplant.
• A new person is put on the national waiting list every 10 minutes.
Please stop by the booth for more information or to enroll in the Mississippi Donor Registry. For more information, call 896-5224. Donors may also register online at donatelifems.org.