Memorial announces inaugural class of Family Medicine residents
Memorial is proud to announce the inaugural class of Family Medicine Program residents. This class of 10 residents will be the future physician leaders of tomorrow. The residents will be in the hospital and local clinics throughout the Gulfport and surrounding areas.
Resident physicians are licensed doctors training in a specialty. They will spend three years with Memorial where they will see patients, write orders, and prescribe medication. All of this will be done under supervision by an experienced attending physician. They will receive a significant amount of education, simulation, and procedural training. The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education oversees their training making sure all requirements are in place and residents are provided with the appropriate resources during their residency.
“Starting a Family Medicine residency is bringing much-needed primary care providers to the Mississippi Gulf Coast,” says Memorial Designated Institutional Official (DIO) Dr. Gretchen Holmes. “We can’t wait to introduce our new residents to our patients and surrounding communities. This class of residents are ready to get started and we can’t wait to welcome them.”
Memorial Hospital at Gulfport welcomes a diverse group of talented residents:
- Piu Dey, MD (Virginia) – Ross University School of Medicine
- Stanley Dziaba, DO (Indiana) – William Carey University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Nazli Goktepe, DO (Texas) – William Carey University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Gurwinder Kaur, MD (New York) – Ross University School of Medicine
- Arjun Meiyappan, MBBS (Canada) – Medical University of Lublin
- Surbhibahen Modi, MBBS (Illinois) – Government Medical College
- Shazzanne Pennant, MD (Washington, DC) – Howard University School of Medicine
- Michael Samel, MD (Hattiesburg, MS) – Des Moines University
- Carmenza Valderama, MD (Texas) – Ross University School of Medicine
- Thinn Zaw, MD (California) – St. George’s University School of Medicine