The Memorial Birthplace
The arrival of a new baby is one of life's most exciting events. At Memorial Birthplace, we want your baby's birth to be a warm, comfortable, and joyous experience. Call us today to schedule a free tour.(228) 575-2299
Having Your Baby at Memorial Hospital
Labor/Delivery/Recovery (LDR) Rooms
LDR rooms are private and allow you to stay in one room during labor, delivery and recovery. These home-like, spacious and comfortable rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art technology to ensure safety that only a hospital can offer. A team dedicated to the baby attends all births.
Should the need arise, the only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) on the Mississippi Coast is available at Memorial Hospital for sick infants and newborns. Following recovery, you will be moved to a mother/baby suite.
Our suites are comfortable and family-centered. Each spacious suite includes a sofa, rocking chair, TV and private bath. Your baby may stay in the room with you. Our experienced nurses are available for you and your baby. They will answer your questions and teach you how to care for your newborn so you can return home with your baby feeling prepared and confident.
Call (228) 575-2299 to schedule a free tour.
Other Memorial Birthplace Features
- Antepartum testing
- Specialized, comprehensive treatment of obstetrical complications
- Mother/Baby well and high-risk care
- Maternal fetal medicine
- Obstetric Emergency Department – physicians on-staff 24/7 to see you and manage your care if you do not have a provider or if your provider isn’t readily available
Labor & Delivery Visitation
Memorial’s Birthplace is committed to the health and safety of our moms and babies. As you prepare for your delivery at our facility, please note that our current visitation guidelines allow for two support people to be with moms during the labor and delivery process. Afterward, moms and babies are permitted to have one visitor per day.
Breastfeeding & Lactation Support
Memorial Hospital is now officially designated as a Baby-Friendly® Hospital!
Memorial Breastfeeding Center offers comprehensive breastfeeding and lactation support and is staffed by Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC). Visit Memorial Breastfeeding Center.
Memorial proudly joins a growing list of Baby-Friendly hospitals and birth centers dedicated to providing an environment that supports breastfeeding while respecting every woman’s right to make the best decision for herself and her family. Learn more about Baby-Friendly USA and the BFHI.
Memorial has implemented the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. What’s more, we comply with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.
The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
- Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all healthcare staff.
- Train all healthcare staff in the skills necessary to implement this policy.
- Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
- Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infants.
- Give infants no food or drink other than breast milk, unless medically indicated.
- Practice rooming-in; allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
- Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
- Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
- Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups, and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or birth center.
The U.S. Guidelines and Evaluation Criteria for this prestigious designation are stringent and are based on the Global Criteria for the WHO/UNICEF Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI). They set the standards for the best possible breastfeeding support for both you and your infant.