Occupational Medicine Specialists work to ensure that the highest standards of occupational health and safety can be achieved and maintained. Occupational
Medicine centers on preventive medicine and management of illness, injury or disability that is related to the workplace. The main focus is to prevent diseases and promote wellness among workers.
Occupational health physicians must:
- Have knowledge of potential hazards in the workplace including toxic properties of materials used
- Evaluate employee fitness for work
- Diagnose and treat occupational disease and injury
- Know about rehabilitation methods, health education, and government laws and regulations concerning workplace health
- Manage health service delivery